When driving during the winter season, be sure to plan for long trips carefully, listen to the radio or television for the latest weather forecasts, and monitor road conditions. If poor weather is forecasted, drive only if necessary.
Prepare your vehicle for winter:
Have the following checked on your vehicle prior to the winter season:
- Antifreeze levels
- Battery and ignition system
- Exhaust system
- Fuel and air filters
- Heater and defroster
- Windshield wiper equipment and washer fluid level
Safety tips for your vehicle during the winter season:
- Keep your gas tank full.
- Install good winter tires.
- Have your emergency car kit updated for the winter season.
What to include in your emergency car kit:
- First aid kit
- Jumper cables
- Flares or reflective triangles
- Ice scraper
- Car cell phone charger
- Sand or kitty litter for better tire traction
- Non-perishable food
- Blankets, hats, gloves, scarves
- Small shovel
- Face covering/mask
- Hand sanitizer or soap
Visit calgary.ca/getready for more emergency preparedness tips.