A message from the Federation of Calgary Communities
We live in a society where we expect to be safe. We have paid professionals in every walk of life, from law enforcement, healthcare, etc. whose job it is to ensure our well-being. However, we must empower ourselves through knowledge and action, and take responsibility for our own personal safety. Awareness and avoidance are important elements of a safe strategy which can be blended seamlessly into your lifestyle.
Have a Personal Safety Strategy:
- Know that a danger could exist and never forget it.
- Admit to yourself that you could become a victim.
- Have a plan. Know what you will do if a dangerous situation comes up. Be determined not to “freeze up.”
- Be suspicious. Too much “faith in human nature” can make you an easy target for a vicious criminal.
- Trust your good judgment. Common sense is the best protection.