I would just like to highlight what has been happening/going on behind the scenes this past month, in no particular order:
- We want to thank Grace Kim for her many years of service to our Community Association. She has served in many ways over the years, from volunteer Hall Rental Coordinator to Secretary. With increasing demands on her time, she has stepped down from the Board. Her smiling face and wisdom will definitely be missed. Thank you for your contributions Grace!
- We welcome Chantal Ogrodnick to the role of Secretary on the Board. We are very fortunate that she has stepped up to take on this essential role and will look forward to working with her.
- The only development application this month was for an addition to an existing residence in Rutland Park, which we were happy to support.
- We will continue to reach out to candidates in other Wards in the hopes that they would support a reversal to the land use redesignation at Richmond Green once the new Council has formed. We have recently found out that the current Council has been pushing for Real Estate and Development Services to “steward” Calgary parks. Given that their primary role is the development and sale of publicly owned land, this is extremely concerning. As the land use redesignation contravenes the Municipal Development Plan, we have also reached out to the Minister of Municipal Affairs to see if he can intervene to reverse the decision. We will continue to advocate to keep the ball diamonds as regional park space.
- A small Celebration of Life was held at the Skateshack to honor our past Membership Director, Shirley Williams. She has been missed.
- We will be looking into some community programming for the Skateshack as we move into the fall, as well as a grand re-opening. We will be looking for people who would be interested in volunteering to coordinate a coffee club or pub night or other low-cost activities for our residents. We look forward to engaging residents and activating the space. Do let us know if you are interested in getting involved.
If you have not already signed up for our email updates, please do so on our website at rutlandparkcommunity.com. The City often gives us very short notice for upcoming events, and this is the quickest way for us to reach you. Please also join us on Facebook – Rutland Park Community Association, and Currie Community. Thank you for your ongoing support.
Leanne Ellis, VP Development and Traffic