Self-care, or taking care of your whole self, mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, is important. Self-care helps your body and brain be in harmony. When body and brain are working together, we see improvements in all areas of our lives, including relationships.
In an airplane emergency, passengers are told to put their own oxygen masks on first, because without oxygen we are unable to help to others. As in life, we increase our ability to help others when we first take care of ourselves.
When is the last time you focused on yourself? Take moments throughout your day to shift your mindset and think about your own “oxygen mask”. What do you need to do to take care of your whole self today?
Self-care looks different for everyone. That which you hold most dear and is most important to you will also be what relaxes, energizes, and strengthens you. Examples of self-care include the following.
- Eat: Bake some cookies, make a tasty salad, or cook your favorite meal. Say “yes” to what you want and enjoy every bite.
- Make Space: Especially if you work from home, have a space to go where you can reset. This could be a beanbag chair in a cozy corner, or a window with a view.
- Heart Health: Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. Think about how you are feeling today. Breathing exercises power our nervous systems. They help us push away distractions and make decisions with a clear mind.
- Connect: Surround yourself with people who support and uplift you. Limit your time with people who make you feel otherwise.
- Unplug: Take a break from social media. Give your mind and spirit time to reset away from a screen.
- Put Away Your To-Do List: Focus on what you have already achieved. See and celebrate small successes. Turn away from the pressure to always do more.
Take a minute and try a type of self-care that makes sense for you. Your “oxygen mask” should be as important as making meals or doing laundry. Bring your brain and body into harmony and enjoy the benefits.