by Claudia Littlefair
In a time when people find connecting with others a challenge, square dance could be an answer. It has made a comeback in a more vital way than ever. Here are seven reasons why learning to square dance might be your unexpected path to new friends and adventures.
- It’s fun! Square Dance is like ‘Simon Says’ for adults. It’s Sudoku for your feet. It’s puzzle-solving on the fly with a team of people working and laughing together.
- Brings people together. Square Dance is social networking IRL (in real life). By dancing and learning together, you’ll soon become friends.
- Inclusive. No need for a partner in today’s Square Dance. You’ll find plenty of experienced dancers ready to dance with you. It’s important to wear comfortable, indoor shoes.
- Brain-building. Teamwork with other dancers will keep your mind sharp, focused, and challenged – no matter your age.
- Good for step-counters. In one evening of square dancing, you can clock 7,000 to 9,000 steps! Moderate, low-impact, heart-healthy movement.
- Wonderful for “two left feet” folks. It’s walking in time to music. No fancy footwork.
- All kinds of music. You will dance to just about any song with a good beat and brisk pace; C&W, Latin, show tunes, pop, rock and more.