- Advertisement -
City Historic Calgary

Historic Calgary

Historic Calgary: Tigerstedt Block

908a Centre St. N.E., Crescent Heights The Tigerstedt Block is significant as one of the remaining unaltered commercial streetscapes whose initial construction circa 1928...

Historic Calgary: The Hudson’s Bay Company Department Store

200 8 Avenue S.W., Downtown Commercial Core The Hudson's Bay Company Department Store (1913), built 1911-13, and significantly expanded in 1929 and 1956-57, is...

Calgary Historic: St. Vladimir’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church

404 Meredith Rd. NE, Crescent Heights St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Orthodox Church has city-wide landmark value as a highly visible building with distinctive copper domes...

Rouleauville: The Good and The Bad News

The good news… by Marilyn Williams The CDEA, Conseil de Développement Économique de l'Alberta, the francophone economic development organization for southern Alberta, received funding from...

70th Anniversary of the Last “Marda Loop” Streetcar Run

It was a typical Sunday 70 years ago, November 7, 1948. The suburban quiet occasionally interrupted by the familiar squeak and rattle of...

Historic Calgary: Battalion Numbers

3020 Signal Hill Dr. S.W., Signal Hill The Battalion Numbers symbolize Calgary's role as home to the second largest military training centre in Canada...

Historic Calgary: Union Cemetery Caretaker’s Cottage, 3025 Spiller Rd. SE, Manchester Industrial

Apart from St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery in Midnapore, Union Cemetery is Calgary's oldest existing burial ground. The original Roman Catholic cemetery, located immediately...

Local History: Early Schooling in Midnapore

In the nascent hamlet of Midnapore in the 1880s, there were only a few families around. Yet with large families like the Shaws,...

Historic Calgary: Cliff Bungalow School (Cliff Bungalow-Mission Community Centre)

Cliff Bungalow School has been an educational and social focal point of the community, serving in an educational capacity from 1920 to 1988...

Local History: The Last Remnants of Old Shaw Road

Nestled away on the northside of Rona, to the east of Macleod Trail, are two of the oldest yet most under-appreciated buildings in...

Historic Calgary: McInnes Barn (Shawnessy Community Centre)

224 Shawmeadows Rd. S.W., Shawnessy The Shawnessy Community Centre, a former Vernacular-style barn built in 1915 by homesteader John McInnes, is one of the...

Historic Calgary: 10th Calgary Troop Boy Scout Hall (Sara Scout Hall)

609 Rideau Rd. S.W., Rideau Park In 1907, Baron Robert Baden-Powell of Gilwell established the Scouting movement in Britain. He visited Calgary in 1910,...