A message from the Federation of Calgary Communities
Christmas is a time to relax and have fun. Many of us will be out and about more than usual – Christmas shopping, attending parties and other social events – and the last thing we need is to become a victim of crime. To help avoid this, consider some of the following advice.
Personal Safety in the Parking Lot
- Travel on busy, well-lit roads; and avoid driving alone at night. Park in well-lit and well-trafficked areas, as close as possible to store entrances. Avoid secluded and dark areas, where confrontations are less likely to be seen and cries for help may not be heard.
- There is safety in numbers, so shop with friends and relatives instead of going alone. Make sure everyone maintains awareness and is not distracted by each other’s company.
- Lock your car and make sure the windows are closed. Be particularly aware of persons in the parking lot, especially those near your car. If there are loiterers, get a security guard for assistance.
- Always try to walk to and from your vehicle with another person. If you are shopping alone, consider walking near other shoppers in the parking lot. Security guards at some malls will accompany you to your car.
- Have your keys in your hand well before approaching your car. It will save time in getting into the car and the keys can be used as an improvised weapon if necessary. Lock the car door immediately after getting into your car.
- If you must wait for a ride, wait in a busy, well-lit area.