Did you know over half the food we throw away could have been eaten? Reducing food waste can help you make the most of your food budget, reduce trips to the grocery store, and make a positive impact on our community, economy, and environment.
Here are some actions you can take to start saving money, time, and food in your home:
- Use a grocery list and meal plan to avoid buying food you won’t use.
- Plan one day a week to cook from the freezer and cupboard only.
- Label leftovers so they don’t become mysteries in the freezer.
- Set aside the top shelf of the fridge as a ‘leftovers’ or ‘eat first’ shelf.
- Use blemished or unused produce in soup, smoothies, or baking.
Check out more tips at calgary.ca/foodwaste.