Authors Posts by Inventory of Historic Resources City of Calgary

Inventory of Historic Resources City of Calgary

Historic Calgary lion

Historic Calgary: Original Centre Street Bridge Lions

800 Macleod Trail S.E., 1917 - 1999 Early in 1917 the four Original Centre Street Bridge Lions were installed upon the newly completed, reinforced-concrete...
Historic Calgary image

Historic Calgary: The Bridgeland/Riverside Vacant Lot Garden

46 7 St. N.E. The Bridgeland / Riverside Vacant Lot Garden is significant as an excellent example of a community garden and is the...

Historic Calgary: Scotsman’s Hill

Scotsman’s Hill, Salisbury St. S.E., RamsayScotsman's Hill is a landmark in Calgary's skyline and the most distinctive geographical feature of the Ramsay community....

Historic Calgary: Tigerstedt Block

908a Centre St. N.E., Crescent HeightsThe Tigerstedt Block is significant as one of the remaining unaltered commercial streetscapes whose initial construction circa 1928...
Historic Calgary image

Historic Calgary: The Hudson’s Bay Company Department Store

200 8 Avenue S.W., Downtown Commercial CoreThe Hudson's Bay Company Department Store (1913), built 1911-13, and significantly expanded in 1929 and 1956-57, is...
Historic Calgary e

Calgary Historic: St. Vladimir’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church

404 Meredith Rd. NE, Crescent Heights St. Vladimir's Ukrainian Orthodox Church has city-wide landmark value as a highly visible building with distinctive copper domes...
Historic Calgary image

Historic Calgary: Battalion Numbers

3020 Signal Hill Dr. S.W., Signal Hill The Battalion Numbers symbolize Calgary's role as home to the second largest military training centre in Canada...
Historic Calgary image

Historic Calgary: Union Cemetery Caretaker’s Cottage, 3025 Spiller Rd. SE, Manchester Industrial

Apart from St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery in Midnapore, Union Cemetery is Calgary's oldest existing burial ground. The original Roman Catholic cemetery, located immediately...
Historic Calgary image

Historic Calgary: Cliff Bungalow School (Cliff Bungalow-Mission Community Centre)

Cliff Bungalow School has been an educational and social focal point of the community, serving in an educational capacity from 1920 to 1988...
Historic Calgary barn front

Historic Calgary: McInnes Barn (Shawnessy Community Centre)

224 Shawmeadows Rd. S.W., ShawnessyThe Shawnessy Community Centre, a former Vernacular-style barn built in 1915 by homesteader John McInnes, is one of the...
Historic Calgary – Sara Scout Hall before the  flood

Historic Calgary: 10th Calgary Troop Boy Scout Hall (Sara Scout Hall)

609 Rideau Rd. S.W., Rideau Park In 1907, Baron Robert Baden-Powell of Gilwell established the Scouting movement in Britain. He visited Calgary in 1910,...
The entrance into Bowness Park pre

Historic Calgary: Bowness Park

Bowness Park, 8900 48 Ave. NW, BownessBowness Park is a large City of Calgary park, approximately 30 hectares in area and two kilometers...